Improve fire safety
Above 40% of all fires originate from a kitchen
Three factors are required for a fire to occur; fuel, oxygen (air) and heat. All three factors are present in a hood/exhaust duct filled with greasy high-energy exhaust air generated from e.g. woks, deep fryers and/or griddles. Remove one factor and the fire hazard is reduced.
Approximately 40% of all restaurant and hotel fires originate from the kitchen where about half of the fires start at the stove.
In addition to the risk of injury, the cost of property and material damage is significant, often more than EUR 50 000 per restaurant. It also leads to further expenses due to loss of revenue while the restaurant is closed for reparation. The insurance may, or may not, cover this lost revenue.
Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or LP gas or propane) must be removed at an adjacent fire due to risk of the fire spreading. A fire that starts in adjacent premises threatens to take off if it manages to ignite the grease in a polluted duct.
Ozone treatment of the kitchen exhaust air lowers the risk of fire
Ozone is an efficient tool to chemically decompose grease particles and convert it to carbon dioxide, water and a small amount of dust that is transported through the exhaust duct without adhering to the inner walls. This prevents any accumulation of energy-rich and flammable fat deposits in the ventilation.
Common causes of kitchen fires
- Too high temperatures in the deep fryer
- Highly flammable vegetable oils
- Old, more flammable oil, in the deep fryer
- Fat deposits in the flue and ventilation ducts
- Misaligned sprinklers due to equipment on wheels being moved around
- Malfunctioning sprinklers due to the fusible links being clogged by grease
Improved fire safety
An immediate result of ozone treatment of greasy kitchen exhaust air is that the fire safety is significantly improved. The ozone treatment prevents the formation of fat deposits in the ducts by breaking down the grease whilst airborne. This removes the fuel needed for a fire to start. This also reduces the amount of manual cleaning of the inner parts of the duct and lowers the frequency of replacements of particle filters.
Fire extinguishing system
The safest way to protect a restaurant from fire hazards in the kitchen and duct is with a fire suppression system over the entire area of cooking equipment and in the kitchen hoods.
Fires involving cooking oils are classified as “Class K” in the United States, and “Class F” in European and Australian systems. The most commonly used agent for K/F class fires is Wet Chemical which is mostly potassium salts mixed with water.
The most reliable systems are based on “saponification”, a process that produces glycerol and fatty acid salt, called "soap”. The reaction is a certain fire extinguisher to fight hot cooking oil and fat fires. The reaction both cools down the oil, removing some of the heat and shuts out the oxygen supply to the fuel. The primary purpose is to protect the kitchen staff and reduce the risk of the fire to spread further.
Stainless steel ducts are expensive, but also the safest in terms of fire prevention. This is because of the high temperature resistance of stainless steel, which allows it to withstand the high temperatures that occur, for example, during a fire spreading through fat deposits in the ventilation duct.
A kitchen exhaust duct with a built-in purification system, such as ozone treatment or UV-lamps, poses a lower risk of fire, which may allow for cheaper materials than stainless steel to be used (depending on your country’s regulations and recommendations regarding fire prevention). Additionally, the need for duct cleaning decreases because grease particles are continuously removed from the exhaust air.
How often the channel needs inspection and cleaning must be decided on a case by case basis.
Contact us if you have any questions.